Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Japan

After a 17-hour trip from Orlando to Japan I arrived somewhat tired and spaced out. I guess I was in my normal state then as some of you might think. I was met at the airport by Yushi san one of the instructors that teach at Wind sports hang gliding school. We made the 2-hour drive from the airport to Itajaki where the school is located just below the flying site. It was very cold last night around 6-7 degrees when I went to bed, with 4 blankets and a kerosene lantern beside me I managed a good night sleep. I woke up this morning and did not want to get out from the covers as it was still freezing cold so I dragged the computer over to my bed and did some emailing until it warmed up. We went up the hill at 11 am to test fly my new glider, which is a smoke inlay L S 4. It was not as cold as I expected on top of the hill but soon after takeoff when I climbed in a 4-500 up to 1200 m it was freezing again. Everyone else had bombed out and I was first to get up I flew around for a while enjoying the surroundings of Tokyo. The landing field is not great depending on which way the wind is blowing as it is surrounded by very wet rice fields you cannot miss the field otherwise it is a wet and dirty landing. Of course I managed to get it into the field without a drama but it is sure intimidating if you over shoot. I have now just come back home to make some vegemite sandwiches to cure my hunger. Above are some pics that I managed to snap off whilst I was flying today.